Order to stop 'dangerous behaviour' at former store

Sonia KatariaEast Midlands
News imageBBC Nottinghamshire Police vehicles outside the former Debenhams building, in Long Row, off Old Market Square, Nottingham, with a police cordon in place.BBC
Police have been frequently called to the former Debenhams building due to repeated disturbances

A closure order has been granted to put a stop to "unacceptable and dangerous behaviour" at a derelict former store in Nottingham.

Nottinghamshire Police said it was frequently called to the old Debenhams in Long Row, off Old Market Square, after youths went inside and climbed on to the roof.

On Friday, the force said Nottingham Magistrates' Court issued a three-month closure order after an application from Nottingham City Council's anti-social behaviour team.

Police were called out to the store in November when youths were seen on the roof. Three boys, who were 10 to 12 years old, were detained and issued with a dispersal order, excluding them from the area.

News imageDanni MacRae Group of boys dressed in black spotted on the roof of the former Debenhams store in Nottingham city centre.Danni MacRae
A group of boys were pictured on top of the derelict building last month

Police said despite working with the managing agents over improving security at the site, incidents continued and an application for the closure order was submitted to the court.

Closure orders are one of the tools available to police and local authorities to prevent access to premises associated with persistent nuisance or disorder, the force said.

They are governed by the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, and aim to tackle serious disruption caused by occupants or visitors to a property. A breach is a criminal offence, punishable by imprisonment and/or a fine.

'Unacceptable and dangerous'

The store, which has Grade II listed status, closed its doors in May 2021, as part of the wider closure of all Debenhams stores.

In the coming months, police urged parents to warn children of the dangers of "urban exploring" and trespassing at derelict buildings.

Ch Insp Kylie Davies, who oversees neighbourhood policing in the city centre, said: "By teaming up with our partners at the council we secured the order to close it down and put a stop to this unacceptable and dangerous behaviour.

"This sends a strong message that we take all reports of anti-social behaviour extremely seriously and will always do everything in our power to investigate, prosecute and work with our partners to keep our communities safe."

City councillor Corall Jenkins, executive member for neighbourhoods, said: "While this is a privately-owned site, we have used our civil powers to support police efforts to secure the building and prevent further dangerous access."

Follow BBC Nottingham on Facebook, on X, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk or via WhatsApp on 0808 100 2210.