'Homophobic letter shows why we still need Pride'
Greg StephensonOrganisers of York Pride have vowed next weekend's event will go ahead as planned, after they received a "distressing" discriminatory letter criticising the celebration.
Greg Stephenson, chair and managing director of York Pride, said he received the "upsetting" response after sending letters to people around the Knavesmire area containing details of road closures and potential disruption.
Stephenson said the letter, which would be reported to North Yorkshire Police, had not put off organisers ahead of the event on Saturday 30 May.
He said: "We still get asked 'Why do we still need a Pride?' Well this is the perfect example of why we do."
Stephenson, who has worked on Pride events for more than a decade, said: "It's just been covered in some quite nasty things around Pride and saying that 'we're not normal' and that 'we used to arrest people like you'.
"I've been doing this for 12 years now and this is the first time we've actually had one back like this.
"It's really, really distressing to read."
KIT TAYLOR/BBCThe letter also contained text saying "Not all residents support this - or like it. Take note!!!" alongside swear words.
Stephenson said: "These people, you know they are in the minority these days, which is brilliant, but they do still exist and they are out there."
York Pride will see crowds gather at the Knavesmire, with music stars performing across three stages, as well as a family area and funfair.
Last year's event brought thousands of people to the city centre for a parade from Parliament Square to the Knavesmire.
Listen to highlights from North Yorkshire on BBC Sounds, catch up with the latest episode of Look North.
