Ban disposable BBQs permanently, firefighter says
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue ServiceA senior firefighter has said he wishes disposable barbecues were permanently banned.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said crews had dealt with a surge of wildfires recently, including one in Devonport Park in Plymouth on Sunday, which was deemed to have been deliberately lit.
The government last week announced a temporary ban of disposable barbecues over fears they pose a "significant risk to the public" as drought and heatwave conditions grip the UK.
Asked about the temporary ban, watch manager Ian Donovan said: "It is welcome news but I wish they were banned all together."
Donovan added: "It's not just when we have them on the moorland sites, but also on beaches where they are discarded into bins, then the bins catch fire.
"In some cases if they are in close proximity to buildings, then we see a building fire."
The fire service said crews also had to extinguish out out of control bonfires and blazes started by discarded cigarettes on roads.
Donovan said the presence of Dartmoor and Exmoor national parks were risk factors and "an awful lot of rain" would be needed to change the dry landscape.
"We've been extremely busy for some time now with a range of fires," he said.
"There is a lot of messaging on the ground, it tells people no open fires, no disposable barbecues and no camping stoves.
"Be careful about how you discard cigarettes, especially when we've seen recent signs of people throwing them out the window and the verges catching fire.
"Enjoy the landscape, respect it and take a picnic."
Follow BBC Devon on X, Facebook and Instagram. Send your story ideas to spotlight@bbc.co.uk.
