Highland Council reports rise in abandoned vehicles

News imageHI-SKILLS Numerous old rusty abandoned cars on a grassy field with woodland in the background at Torvean Quarry, Inverness.HI-SKILLS
Abandoned cars in Inverness' Torvean Quarry in a picture taken last year

The number of vehicles being abandoned in the Highland Council area rose by more than 30% last year.

The local authority's environmental health service told councillors on Wednesday there were 1,738 reports in 2025-26, and 1,291 the previous year.

SNP Inverness Central councillor Kate MacLean claimed an abandoned car in the city's Kessock Road was a problem for buses travelling up and down the street.

"It's a hazard, never mind an eyesore," she said.

MacLean told Highland Council's communities and place committee that last year another car along the same road took about 18 months to remove.

Highland Alliance Cromarty Firth councillor Richard Cross said there was an abandoned vehicle along the A9 that had "been there since before Christmas".

He said the car's wheels and other parts had been "robbed".

A council officer told councillors a team was working on "a number of initiatives", and assured Cross it was aware of the car in question.

A further discussion on abandoned vehicles is set to be held at the June meeting of the council's redesign board, the committee was told.