Bar owners 'feel sick' after spate of burglaries

News imageBecki Bowden / BBC A woman with short blonde hair and a fringe who is wearing a black blouse. She is standing in front of the bar and looking at the camera.Becki Bowden / BBC
Kasia Thompson says Level Cafe Bar & Grill was burgled twice in a week

Business owners on a Hull street known for its bars and restaurants have said they feel unsafe after being hit by a spate of nine burglaries in less than two weeks.

Police said they were investigating whether the break-ins at commercial premises in Newland Avenue between 31 July and 11 August were linked.

Kasia Thompson, whose bar and cafe Level was targeted twice in one week, costing the business about £10,000, said: "It just makes me feel sick."

A spokesperson for Humberside Police said residents could expect to see an increase in the number of officers in the area.

Thompson said although the police had been quick to respond to the recent incidents "the frustrating thing is they're not around when it's actually happening".

"It's just awful. It's our second home," she added.

News imageBecki Bowden / BBC Lydia has medium-length brown hair and a fringe. She is wearing a striped top and a dark green apron. She is standing next to the window and alongside the barricade. Becki Bowden / BBC
Lydia Green, from Mancia, says staff have barricaded doors and windows

Staff at another venue, Mancia Sicilian Bar and Kitchen, said they had resorted to barricading the windows and doors at night.

Manager Lydia Green said: "When I pull up to work, I'm thinking, please, please, please, don't have the window smashed. It's such a relief when you come in and everything's still here.

"It is a worry and a little bit of a sleepless night."

Emanuele Santoro, the restaurant's owner, said the street had also seen an increase in anti-social behaviour.

"We recently had a case where there was a guy urinating outside, whilst we had customers there," he said

"We politely asked him to move on, and there was a bit of hostility, threats of violence.

"People don't want to come to the restaurant any more and enjoy what they used to enjoy."

Santoro said he wanted to see more police patrols.

"We need to regain control of our Newland Avenue. This is our home," he added.

'Get a grip'

Councillor Ted Dolman, portfolio holder for communities at Hull City Council, said Newland Avenue was covered by a public space protection order against issues such as street drinking and begging and he was "very keen" it was enforced.

"I think they've [the police] got to get a grip of the crime in the area, if residents feel unsafe," he said.

"The most important thing is that the police are there, supporting the residents, picking up the issues, when they're reported."

Ch Insp Jon Asvadi, of Humberside Police, said: "We take all reports of burglary seriously and engage regularly with local businesses and communities to understand their concerns."

He said a "range of tactics" were used to tackle offences, including uniformed patrols, security advice and using criminal behaviour orders to prevent re-offending.

Police said a 31-year-old man was charged with two counts of burglary in connection with reports of incidents on 31 July and 1 August. He appeared at Hull Magistrates' Court on Saturday and was released on conditional bail. A second man, aged 35, was arrested in connection with the investigation and released on police bail.

Download the BBC News app from the App Storefor iPhone and iPad orGoogle Play for Android devices