First-class rail travel for councillors banned
BBCA local authority has banned councillors from using taxpayer funds to buy first-class trains.
In February, the BBC reported South Tyneside was the only local authority in the north-east of England to pay for its members to use first-class trains.
An audit report published in March revealed councillors had gone first class on more than 50 occasions in the 2024-2025 financial year at a total cost of more than £10,000, while standard class had only been used six times.
On Tuesday the council approved changes to its constitution so that council funds could no longer be used to buy the upgraded tickets unless they were the cheapest option available.
Councillors may also be able to buy the tickets if they pay for the difference in fares themselves.
At the meeting, Labour councillor Geraldine Kilgour said the move was "absolutely critical".
Meanwhile Green councillor Shirley Ford said it was "definitely time for a new approach".
Green councillor Rachael Taylor previously called the use of the upgraded tickets "out of touch".
Expense claims for the first-class tickets, previously seen by the BBC, showed some of the reasons councillors used to claim the upgraded tickets.
In one November 2024 claim, the council's then Labour leader Tracey Dixon sought to buy first-class return tickets between Newcastle and London for a Local Government Association meeting.
She said that as first-class seats had more space, they would give her "extra confidentiality when taking calls" and working online.
A council worker processing the claim rejected this reason and said confidential calls should not be made where they could be "overheard", however the £209.54 first-class ticket was still purchased.
