Villagers 'trapped' by Big Weekend road closure
BBC/Jim ScottResidents said they will become "prisoners in their own home" when almost two miles (3.2km) of a major road shuts for Radio 1's Big Weekend for three days.
Residents in Penshaw opposite Herrington Country Park in Sunderland, fear they will be unable to leave when the A183 Chester Road closes between May 22 to 24.
Sunderland City Council, which said the closures will help "manage access safely," will shut the road from the A19 to Chistlehurst Road from 08:00 until 01:00, each day.
About 100,000 fans are expected to arrive in the village as the BBC event returns to Wearside after more than 20 years.
Some businesses including Penshaw Farm Shop and Tea Room, and Love Lily, have confirmed they will not be able to trade for the majority of the three-day event.
Tea room bosses acknowledged the festival would be good for the area, but said the scale of the road closure meant it could not fully open.
Residents have argued the decision to close the road was unjustified after it remained open when the event was previously held.
BBC/Jim ScottJoan Everett, who has lived in the village for 51 years, said: "It will be hectic, I don't think anybody is happy about it."
The council is issuing two permits per household to access surrounding roads, but a letter has advised they must park in the streets behind, and not on Chester Road, if they still want to access their cars.
Ms Everett said this was not an option for her and many others.
"Okay we've got permits, but there's no way we can park around the back [as there is no space], if you wanted to go out anywhere, you can't."
BBC/Jim ScottVillager for 32 years, Bill McGlen said residents now faced lengthy diversions around Herrington Country Park just to access the village.
He said he felt confused, and questioned why the road cannot be restricted to local use only.
"It will look like chaos, there will be people coming with cars not knowing the road is closed," he said.
"It is what it is, it's good for the area but at the same time I believe it could have been better."
Resident Gillian Andrews said the road had previously remained open during large festivals, including Radio 1's Big Weekend when it debuted in Sunderland in 2005, and added it would be a "nightmare for residents".
'Done our very best'
The city council said the event would provide a "multimillion pound boost" to the area and "shine a light on Sunderland and the wider region".
"A great deal of work has gone into developing a robust traffic management plan for the event which will keep road users and pedestrians safe, as well as protecting parking for local residents and businesses," it said.
"From early on, we have also done our very best to keep residents and businesses informed.
"We are currently delivering access permits to all properties within the boundaries of the road closures, with a direct contact for residents who need additional permits for carers and family members."
The local authority also said residents with queries should use the contact details on the letter so "we can respond to them as soon as possible".
