Kenya suspends strike after transport paralysis over high fuel prices
AFP via Getty ImagesTransport operators in Kenya have suspended their nationwide strike following talks with the government over rising fuel prices.
The operators say the suspension will remain in place until next Tuesday to allow for further negotiations with the government.
The move comes after the nationwide strike, which brought the capital Nairobi and other cities to a standstill, entered a second day on Tuesday.
At least four people were killed and 30 injured in Monday's protests, with more than 700 arrested nationwide, according to the authorities.
On Tuesday, Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen said the deal to end the strike came after consultations with public transport representatives, and negotiations "at a higher level" would be conducted within the next week.
"We have had a breakthrough not because we are satisfied, but we want to give negotiations a chance," said Edwin Mukabane, the national chairman of the Federation of Public Transport Sector.
"If this is not taken seriously within the seven days, the strike will be back on," he added
Major roads in Nairobi were still largely empty on Tuesday morning with businesses shut and schools closed.
Like the previous day, many Kenyans were forced to walk to their destinations, although a small number of public transport vehicles reportedly resumed services on some routes.
Police were patrolling parts of the city to maintain security amid reports of protesters blocking some routes.
Police urged demonstrators to remain peaceful, and not to loot and destroy properties.
The Directorate of Criminal Investigations said investigations into Monday's demonstrations were ongoing, with many of the suspects already arraigned in court.
Kenyan rights group Vocal Africa denounced "the use of lethal force by law enforcement".
The state-funded Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) called for immediate investigations into the violence and destruction of property, and urged the police to exercise restraint.
Anadolu via Getty ImagesIn the coastal city of Mombasa, a sense of normality was reported to have returned, with public transport services resuming.
On Monday, groups representing the transport sector held a meeting with the government.
Energy Minister Opiyo Wandayi announced they had agreed to reduce the price of diesel, which had risen to a high of 242 shillings ($1.8; £1.4).
The energy regulator subsequently reduced its cost by 10 shillings while retaining the cost of petrol at 214 shillings.
The reduction, however, fell short of protesters' demands and the transport sector representatives insisted the strike would continue.
At the end of a subsequent meeting on Tuesday morning, Wandayi said the government would continue to be "sensitive to the plight of petrol consumers" and thanked the transport operators for agreeing to suspend the strike.
The operators are calling for a fuel price cut of up to 46 shillings, to levels last seen before the US-Israel war with Iran that began on 28 February.
Like many other African nations, Kenya relies on fuel from the Gulf, which has been disrupted by the conflict.
Although a ceasefire has been declared, prices remain high as the Strait of Hormuz, where a fifth of the global oil supply passes through, remains blocked.
Last month, the government cut VAT on fuel from 16% to 8% until July but there have been calls for it to do more.
You may also be interested in:
Getty Images/BBCGo to BBCAfrica.com for more news from the African continent.
Follow us on Twitter @BBCAfrica, on Facebook at BBC Africa or on Instagram at bbcafrica
