Wildfire fears over hotel's wedding fireworks
ReutersResidents in Surrey have voiced concerns over a hotel's plans to stage a fireworks display over the weekend, saying it risks sparking wildfires in neighbouring woodland.
Pennyhill Park Hotel & Spa in Bagshot told locals it would be holding "a professionally managed, approximately five minute display" at 22:00 BST on Saturday as part of a wedding celebration at the venue.
It stated that a "detailed site-specific risk assessment" had been undertaken and "additional precautionary measures introduced".
However, some fear stray embers could cause "massive destruction" to the adjacent Swinley Forest, while Surrey Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) said it "strongly advised against the use of fireworks".
Pennyhill Park has been contacted for comment.
Alex Bird, a senior health and safety advisor who lives in the village, called it "incomprehensible" that such a display would be allowed, given recent government guidance regarding what not to do in the current drought conditions.
"It was only last week that a UK wide alert was sent out, specifically requesting activities like this not to go ahead," she said.
"The fire service has enough to contend with, without possibly having to respond to another foreseeable blaze."
She added that, despite the hotel's risk assessments, "there is no way they can account for the trajectory of all their fireworks".
"It would only take one ember to fall on a tree canopy to cause massive destruction to Swinley forest and the surrounding properties," said Bird.
'Concern is understood'
More than 1,000 wildfires have been recorded in England and Wales this year, according to data shared by the National Fire Chiefs Council.
In an email sent to residents, Pennyhill Park said it understood the cause for concern, "particularly in the current dry conditions".
It added there would also be "a pre-soaking of the the surrounding area, two private fire engines and a crew in attendance, a 4,000 litre water bowser and continuous monitoring".
The hotel explained the water being used had been sourced from the its "private borehole" and would not place "additional demand on the pubic supply".
They said that the display would "create a memorable moment for the couple getting married and their guests", and that checks had been made to ensure it wasn't prohibited or against licencing regulations.
A SFRS spokesperson said: "Our position remains that we strongly advise against fireworks, bonfires, campfires or disposable BBQs during prolonged, dry periods.
"We do not have legal powers to stop fireworks displays from taking place in these circumstances.
"Nevertheless, our Fire Safety Team has been in contact with the hotel to provide advice and guidance, and to ensure appropriate fire risk assessments have been completed," they added.
Follow BBC Surrey on Facebook, X, and Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Surrey on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.
