TikTok declines invite to discuss dangerous driving videos
Getty ImagesTikTok has declined an invitation to appear before an Irish parliamentary committee on media to discuss videos of people driving the wrong way down motorways being posted.
Five teenagers were killed in a head-on crash while driving the wrong way down a motorway in County Kildare in the early hours of Sunday.
The Irish child and family agency Tusla confirmed on Thursday one of teenagers killed in the crash was in its care and two were known to the agency.
The four people in the car they crashed into were injured - three women and a seven-year-old boy - two of the women critically and the other woman and the boy seriously.
In a letter seen by Irish broadcaster RTÉ, a TikTok spokesperson said they could not attend the Oireachtas Committee on Media because of the ongoing police investigation and a separate examination by Coimisiún na Meán, Ireland's media regulator.
They also cited the fact they are the only company to have been asked to attend.
TikTok previously said it was monitoring content related to the incident and was removing videos and accounts that broke its rules.
PA MediaLabour TD and media committee chair Alan Kelly wrote to TikTok requesting that its officials attend a meeting next month to what he described as "content that glorifies irresponsible or illegal activity".
On Tuesday, Coimisiún na Meán said it has asked TikTok to outline how it has responded to risky and reckless driving content on its platform.
A letter sent to Kelly from TikTok's head of public policy Susan Moss said: "Both An Garda Síochána and Coimisiún na Meán are conducting their own examinations into the matter referred to in the statement by Deputy Kelly.
"As a result, we believe it would not be possible to appear before the committee in public session until this process is completed.
"The same issues arises in relation to other social media platforms and messaging services where instances of the content complained of is present.
"However, those platforms have not been invited to appear before the committee at this time.
"TikTok does not consider it appropriate to be the sole representative of the video sharing industry in such circumstances."
'Slap in the face'
In a statement, Kelly said TikTok's decision was "deeply disappointing and, frankly, unacceptable given the seriousness of the issues we are seeking to examine" adding it was "a slap in the face to the Irish public".
He called on TikTok "to immediately reconsider its decision".
He added: "The issue of a Garda investigation being ongoing as an excuse for not coming is a red herring, while if they want us to invite in other social media companies with them I've no problem with that.
"This matter is far too important for them to treat the Irish public this way."
In care of child and family agency
The five teenagers who died in the care that was driving the wrong way down the motorway have been named as Joe Carthy from Athy, County Kildare, Alex McCarthy from Carlow, Kamil Pustkowski from Limerick, Jeremy O'Brien and Jack Kennedy.
Tusla, which confirmed one of the young men killed was in their care and two were known to them said "staff have been in contact with their families and there is ongoing liaison with An Garda Síochána".
Tusla said its "thoughts are with all of those who have been affected by this tragic incident".
It said it is "mindful of the very challenging and sensitive circumstances surrounding this incident and it is a very traumatic time for individuals, for families, for staff and for wider communities".
The agency said it is continuing to work with the Children and Young People's Services Committee and partner organisations to ensure that the appropriate supports are available to all those affected, including families, local communities and others impacted by the tragedy.
Tusla also said it will share all information required with the National Review Panel (NRP), in line with standard reporting processes.
The NRP is commissioned by Tusla and independently carries out reviews of deaths and serious incidents to children.
