'It's a dream': Boro fans gear up for Wembley

Pamela Bilalovaand
Pamela Tickell,North East and Cumbria
News imagePA Media A Middlesbrough fan in the stands celebrates following the Sky Bet Championship match at Bramall Lane, Sheffield in february. He is holding a red and white scarf with Boro written across it and the club's crest. He is surrounded by other smiling and clapping fans. PA Media
Middlesbrough will fight for a place in the Premier League after Southampton were thrown out over spying

Middlesbrough fans have said they are in a dream after Southampton were thrown out of the Championship play-offs - meaning Boro will now take on Hull City at Wembley for a spot in the Premier League.

The EFL charged Saints with watching training sessions involving Oxford United and Ipswich Town, in addition to filming Middlesbrough as they prepared for the first leg of their play-off semi-final on 7 May.

Southampton, who beat Boro in the semi-final, are appealing the decision.

But Middlesbrough fans have said the punishment is just and the club has been allocated 35,984 tickets for the West End of Wembley Stadium, which are being sold online for a 15:30 BST kick off.

It said tickets were only available on its ticketing website "in recognition of the short timescales and number of tickets available".

Local MP Andy McDonald called on Southampton to withdraw its appeal.

"It's a nonsense and they shouldn't be putting anybody through any more inconvenience because of their behaviour," the Labour politician said.

"It really was the only decision the commission could come to, but that said, I was still worried that they wouldn't do it, so fair play to them.

"What an opportunity. Now the Boro have got to seize it with both hands."

News imageReuters Middlesbrough manager Kim Hellberg arrives at the Riverside stadium before the match, escorted by someone in a high-vis jacket. Dozens of fans, wearing red and white, are stood behind barriers with some shouting. Others have their hands out as if to high-five Hellberg. Multiple red flares have been lit, leaving the scene with red dust around it.Reuters
Middlesbrough continued training after the play-off semi-finals last week

Former Middlesbrough captain Julio Arca said it was a "great opportunity" for the team.

"Opportunities often come when you don't expect it and you have to take advantage of them.

"The players should be okay and motivated enough to play this massive game."

But former Southampton boss Harry Redknapp said the expulsion was "very harsh".

"I didn't see that coming - I thought they would get a heavy fine," he said.

News imageGetty Images Julio Arca during the pre-season friendly match between South Shields FC and Sunderland AFC at the First Cloud Arena on July 28, 2023 in Jarrow, England. He has grey hair and beard and brown eyes. He is wearing a blue coat.Getty Images
Former Boro captain Julio Arca said Saturday's game would be "massive"

The decision has left Boro fans making last-minute arrangements to get to Wembley at the weekend.

The club is putting on coach transport from the Riverside Stadium and asked people to only purchase a coach ticket after they had secured a match ticket.

However, some fans have said they had issues with buying tickets, including those with season tickets and those needing disabled and carer passes.

There were long queues outside the ticket office at the Riverside Stadium on Wednesday, despite tickets only being sold online.

Planned engineering works also mean those making their way down to Wembley by train are likely to face disruption, with replacement buses between Darlington and York.

But LNER said it had been "actively working with Network Rail since the news last night to look at what additional options may be available to us to support Middlesbrough fans travelling to Wembley".

News imageAbout two dozen people standing in a line outside the stadium. They are mainly looking at their phones. There are red doors behind them and a red sign which reads: "Riverside Stadium."
There were long queues at the Riverside stadium ticket office

Supporter Tony Clish got the news while on holiday in Gran Canaria.

He said his flight was not until Monday and he was in "domestic negotiation" over whether he could go back early for the game.

"It's a dream, I'm in shock," he said.

"For once in our lives, it's gone our way."

He added he felt for Southampton fans, but "you do the crime, you've got to take the punishment".

"It's an expensive lesson and hopefully the clubs will learn it."

'Dropping everything'

Fan Fran Gruffydd said there would be "a lot of renewed confidence" for Boro.

Adam Brag agreed and said Middlesbrough could do it, but it would be a "very close game".

"I'll get there, even if I have to run," he added.

Lee Carney, who runs the Up the Boro fan page, said he heard fans were struggling to find accommodation, with others driving down and staying with friends nearby.

He said fans would be "dropping everything" to get down to London.

"My missus had plans for Saturday, but she won't be happy because they'll be getting snuffed now, like every other Boro fan."

McDonald added "the world will be watching" the game.

"I'll crawl over broken glass to get there on Saturday. This is our moment."

Follow BBC Tees on X,Facebook, Nextdoor and Instagram.

Related internet links