New council leader vows to halt pedestrianisation

Charis Scott-Holm,East Yorkshire and Lincolnshireand
Jake Zuckerman,Cleethorpes
News imageBBC A man wearing a black suit, with a pink shirt and bright pink tie, stands in front of a building project on a town centre street on a sunny day.BBC
Councillor Oliver Freeston became leader of North East Lincolnshire Council on Thursday

The new leader of North East Lincolnshire Council has said he will "try and stop" a pedestrianisation scheme currently under way in Cleethorpes.

Reform UK Councillor Oliver Freeston said he was "fully against" the pedestrianisation of the resort's Market Place - a £4.5m project funded by the government's levelling up scheme.

He said it would "kill the high streets" and local businesses were "totally against it".

Councillor Hayden Dawkins, part of the previous Conservative administration, said the project could be brought back to councillors, but it was "as clear cut as it can be" that the money would need to be paid back to government.

News imageNorth East Lincolnshire Council Artist impression of the new square. It has grey paving stones with a central area protected by bollards with market stalls surrounded by built-in seating. On both sides are tables with umbrellas outside cafes.North East Lincolnshire Council
The redeveloped square will still have some car parking spaces for blue badge holders

Dawkins also said the move could mean the council was in breach of contract as works by its appointed contractors had already begun.

He added: "The local council taxpayers would be expected to foot that bill, which could run... into millions.

"We've all got to pay that. It's not something the government would pay."

Freeston, who was elected as the council's new leader on Thursday, described the project as "£4.5m trying to fix something that didn't need fixing".

He said: "It's just yet another example of North East Lincolnshire Council being out of touch, not willing to listen, and trying to put their ideas forward when people don't want it."

News imageA man with grey hair, slicked back with hair product, wears a beige cord shirt and burgundy t-shirt underneath. He is being interviewed in his fish and chip restaurant, with red and gold chairs in the background.
Business owners including Ian Stead were worried about the impact of the pedestrianisation

The works, which began on 18 May, will see parking spaces removed and the square transformed into space for the market and events, with public seating and outdoor tables for cafes and restaurants.

It is part of a larger £18m redevelopment project in the seaside resort.

The scheme has attracted criticism from some business owners who are concerned about the impact on trade during the works and the loss of parking spaces.

Ian Stead, from Steels Cornerhouse Restaurant, agreed with Freeston's remarks.

He said: "On the first two days, our footfall dropped by literally two thirds, which, if you project that forward, is equivalent to about £20,000 per week."

He described it as "extremely worrying times".

However, not all local businesses were against the new scheme.

Mikey Hands, of the Market Tavern, said: "It hasn't affected trade yet.

"I'm all for it to be honest."

Listen to highlights fromLincolnshire on BBC Sounds, watch thelatest episode of Look North.

Download the BBC News app from the App Storefor iPhone and iPad orGoogle Play for Android devices

Related internet links