Matos excited by options as Stewart eyes debut

Vitor Matos' Swansea began the new Championship season with a 2-1 win at Stoke last weekend
- Published
Vitor Matos says he is "very excited" by his attacking options with new signing Ross Stewart fit to feature for the first time when Swansea City host Sheffield United on Saturday (15:00 BST).
Stewart is available to make his debut against the Blades having gone through a mini-pre-season since arriving at Swansea a fortnight ago.
The Scotland international joins Zan Vipotnik, the Championship's leading marksman last season, and Adam Idah, scorer of Swansea's winner at Stoke City last weekend, in the fight for game-time in Matos' attack.
"That's good," Matos insisted. "I think that shows as well how important it is that we are building the squad in terms of profiles and strengths we can use depending on the game and depending on the situation.
"Ross offers a lot of quality and I'm really happy to have him."
Stewart signed a three-year deal at Swansea after failing to agree a new contract at former club Southampton.
The 30-year-old comes with a track record of scoring goals in a division where Slovenia forward Vipotnik was the star striker last season.
Matos: 'We have to impose our own game'
Idah, meanwhile, will be hungry to make a bigger impression in 2026-27 having played second fiddle to Vipotnik – thanks partly to a serious hamstring injury – following his £6m move to Swansea in September 2025.
The Republic of Ireland international began on the right note as he replaced Vipotnik in the second half at Stoke and scored the winner with his first touch of the game.
The attacking picture at Swansea could change should they receive a substantial bid for Vipotnik before the transfer window closes in 13 days' time, with speculation about the player's future likely to continue.
But after the Swans turned down a Hull City offer worth around £10m for Vipotnik earlier this month, Matos insists he is planning on having all three of his centre-forwards around after the 1 September transfer deadline.
"The transfer market is open so there's always rumours, there's always a lot of things," Matos added.
"He (Vipotnik) is with us at the moment, so I think it's important that for us we focus game by game."
'I'd want £30m for him' - Blake on Vipotnik
Former Wales striker Nathan Blake told BBC Sport's Feast of Football podcast this week that Swansea should demand at least £25m for Slovenia international Vipotnik.
"This is Blake's opinion," Matos said in response. "Then it's about the market so that's not for me, that's more for the club at the moment.
"Me and Vipi are focused on Sheffield United and that's what we need."
With Stewart available, midfielder Goncalo Franco and centre-back Cameron Burgess are Swansea's only absentees as they go in search of victory in the first home league game of the new season.