Compensation scheme not up to scratch, victims saypublished at 13:30 BST
Ewan Somerville
BBC News
Several of those who campaigned for a national day for terror victims and survivors still feel more needs to be done.
A report, released on Friday by the Survivors Against Terror (SAT), says while psychological support for victims had improved, no progress had been made to the state compensation scheme for terror victims, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.
SAT's co-founder Brendan Cox, whose wife MP Jo Cox was murdered by a neo-Nazi in 2016, welcomes the national day but warns "survivors also want it to be a moment of accountability".
Image source, Getty ImagesLabour MP Jo Cox was fatally stabbed and shot before a constituency surgery in 2016
Lisa Ghiggini, who survived the London Bridge attack in 2019, says: "At the moment we still have members who don't have the resources to build a downstairs toilet following attacks that have left them struggling to walk".
The Ministry of Justice, which is responsible for the taxpayer-funded scheme, where victims self-classify the type of incident, says £180m was paid out last year for all types of violent crime including terrorism.




