| You are in: UK: Wales | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Monday, 15 April, 2002, 06:24 GMT 07:24 UK Campaign to stop racist returning ![]() Alan Beshella is due to be released from jail this month Residents of a south Wales town where an Asian shopkeeper was racially harassed by a former member of the Ku Klux Klan have made a stand against racism. At a public meeting in Caerau, Maesteg, residents were keen to show support for the victims of Alan Beshella, 52, who was imprisoned after harassing shopkeeper Mohammed Nawaz.
Mr Nawaz had planned to leave Caerau after the incident, but announced last week that he had been persuaded to stay in the area by local people. Organisers hoped the Monday night meeting would support the Nawaz family, and also discuss ways of tackling racism. The meeting came as Beshella nears the end of his prison term for racially aggravated harassment, after serving half of his three-month sentence. A spokesman from the community hoped the former Klansman would not move back to Caerau. "He is not welcome back," said Jeff Hurford of the Bridgend Coalition Against Racism. "It is not right that a community is tainted because they have the misfortune to have someone like Beshella living there."
Mr Hurford also added that there will not be any protests by anti-racist campaigners when Beshella is released from prison. Beshella, a self-confessed Ku Klux Klan member, was imprisoned after he was found guilty of racially-aggravated assault on the basis of psychological injury. At Beshella's trial in February, magistrates in Port Talbot heard how the 52-year-old had joined the Ku Klux Klan while living in California, earning the title Grand Dragon before moving to the south Wales valleys 13 years ago. They were told that Beshella used the terrorist attacks of 11 September as an excuse to visit Mr Nawaz in his shop and to question him about his religious beliefs. Overwhelming support He was sentenced in March at Cardiff Crown Court, where the judge said his aggressive questioning and menacing comments had put the Nawaz family in fear. South Wales Police have told the Nawaz family that Beshella will be released from Cardiff Prison on 21 April. It is understood that he intends to return to his home in Caerau. Mr Nawaz said he will stay in the area, after residents asked him not to leave, unless he suffers from any repeat of the abuse. "I'm very overwhelmed with the support we've had from the community," he said. |
See also: Internet links: The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now: Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page. | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories |
| ^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII|News Sources|Privacy | ||